Wednesday, January 18, 2012

NURSES*ARE*AWESOME*

I have a friend who is a nurse and has done much to walk me through some very dark valleys with this whole thing. I greatly respect her intellect and knowledge and what she is not completely familiar with, she unmercifully bugs the doctors she works with trying to get help and answers back to me.

She got me in for a biopsy at her hospital when the whole known medical world was shut down for 10 days for Christmas week. I can never repay her for that kindness - she literally sped up my treatment by two *very* important weeks.

I have a high regard for nurses. I pay close attention to what they say.

While being on the phone with my oncologists office reporting side effects last Friday, I felt like they were taking notes but not much else. Come to find out my oncologist has made an "emergency family visit to POLAND"...... like-a-long-ways-away-in-the-European-Union-Poland - not Poland, Ohio.

Ohhh Toto.... There was a good amount of time spent today trying to track down her "substitute", who needed to give orders and adjustments for my treatment cocktail to be mixed.

Finally, my good nurse put her hands on her hips, looked to the side, pursed her lips, and jumped in taking control of the situation. We went carefully over my side effects - the most lasting and painful and annoying being bloating - like not being able to sit comfortably 7 days later bloat - and she got on the phone. For me.

The place was packed this morning. I kind of realized quickly that I was not walking into an ideal situation with my "trial" doctor out of the country - she's literally the one writing the book on this treatment protocol. One might compare the action in that wing to an "Oz" at the end of the rainbow - busy and happy - but I was definitely needing a good-witch Glenda to grab my hand and wave a magic wand.....

Lori has worked in oncology for 17 years. In the Trial Phase One wing, maybe ten of those years. She sat down, asked me how I had reacted to the steroids last week, and then as I watched her,,,, she looked at Scott.... I'm guessing experience has taught her who realizes the full-brunt-effects of the steroids - and subsequently can answer the severity of the spinning heads better....

She thought they might be a big part of the problem. She said the first dose of chemo being a "blast" was coupled with that dose of steroids to really suppress my bodily response, and that some people - and she raised her eyebrow at me - get a little "risky" because of the side effects and try a reduction in steroid dose for the second treatment - "because your body is used to the poison a little and does not try so hard to fight it." (I know there is a good Christian metaphor in there waiting to be put on paper someday...)

When it comes to steroid dose reduction, I.am.all.about.risky. She got on the phone again trying to find a doctor to sanction the reduction. She did.

My eyebrow went up when she brought in a "reaction kit" and placed it on the cabinet close-by -- "just in case you needed the full dose and react" (yeah, that brought me back to Scarecrow in Oz) and then we finally started the drip.

She didn't stop there - she told me that there might be a better anti-nausea, anti-anxiety, and sleep aid all rolled into one that I might want to try as I am still waking up at 3:30am with Ambien, and she got that called into my pharmacy.

This lady can move some mountains.

She gave me some really good ideas for some other "tweaks", and even brought me oven*warmed*blankets. I think in heaven there is going to be a blanket warmer full of white soft blankets. Bringing those blankets to patients must be like delivering flowers - everyone loves them and they seem to melt away anxiety and make you smile no matter what the torment. (or as my little Milliebean is want to say "it's just so good, Grandmum" when endorsing a product or food.)

I didn't see one doctor today, but I think I got some of the highest medical treatment possible from another good nurse.

Good nurses are worth their weight in gold and then some.

They are awesome.


**************

Bad News of the Day: my white blood cells have dropped below normal - which is what happens a lot the first week of chemo "they say", but not an ideal situation. She said to avoid germs.

Good News of the Day: my platelet counts still are hanging in there pretty good - that rocks right now.

She said that means my body is still replenishing them nicely, and that I needed to just take it easy when I feel my body "sag" or be "flu-like" because that is when they are tanking and trying to recover.

She confirmed and impressed on us the importance of the no caffeine - no coffee, and since I have been off of it for over a week, I hope I am done with my favorite-drug-of-choice-withdrawal -- (enter stage right the wicked witch of the east - oh, it was ugly)..... She outlined my "low-bacteria-diet" -- no fresh veggies, no fresh fruits, no buffets, no deli items -- mostly my basic diet as of 24 hours ago. It can be most easily remembered by these simple facts: if it has not been excessively packaged, processed, baked, frozen or steamed unmercifully - I should not eat it. Avoid any and all human finger touches and dirt.... (what would Grandma say???)

Get this - after her thorough explanation of the diet, they then brought me my lunch with a fresh slice of tomato on a deli meat sandwich --- it makes one wonder.....

3 comments:

  1. Good grief .... thank God for this wonderful friend. I think she is Heaven-sent. Now if she can only get the dietician on board this ship. You'd think that they would attempt to create the yummiest "processed, baked, frozen or steamed unmercifully" meals possible for you courageous warriors, fighting this battle. Your friends are praying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Karen! What a blessing indeed to have such an amazing friend making things happen for you in the doc's absence! I'm praying for you as you keep on fighting through the ups and downs of treatment! You're a strong woman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen,
      Part of anxiety comes from not knowing and poor explanation.
      thankfully you are surrounded by those who can educate you on the treatment, side effects, so you know what to expect, why and what every procedure is for and how to get through it..God Speed to healing and prayers for white blood cells to go back to normal!
      Thanks for sharing.

      Delete