Thursday, January 26, 2012

words and songs

Some words keep coming up again and again - from different people that I do not think even know each other, but it's the same words: "community", "river", "shade"; and my favorite "wings".

I love the imagery in this song - "inviting all to go down to the river and pray". I love the photos attached to this song - my mother had a family that was good to each other, helped each other and the five sisters and one brother in her family could easily be the photo at the start of this song.

One of my favorite pictures of them is a group of women in 1040's style dresses walking up through a lightly wooded area carrying dishes full of food to get to "Grandma Harper's house" for Sunday dinner.

I come from a long heritage of good, strong women. Several medical personnel have taken my family history of cancer and I reply "the only one was my Aunt Zilpha had it at age 85" - they look over their glasses at me and want to know if she "succumbed" from it. I laugh and say "no" she lived 13 more years cancer free.....

My Grandmother read her Bible through each year. Faithfully, even religiously. She was blessed by it. She was 105 when she died. The funeral home director had sat up maybe 50 chairs for her funeral, and he spent the rest of the afternoon setting up more chairs. Lots of chairs. Her charity and kindness and righteous indignations and baking skills were all legendary.

I know they all would love this song. And the idea.

Come pray with me at the river today......


3 comments:

  1. you have such a gift and ot brings tears to my eyes every time I read your entries...we will weap and morn with you and give joy with you. For I am sure God has a plan. I pray for you and your family to have peace and may you build your strength and when you are weary, rest in the arms of the most high.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The video reminds me of my high school fight song - I went to a Christian school on the banks of the Niagara River in Fort Erie Ontario. Every year we would have a week of camp meeting and we would go down to the river for a worship service and I was always amazed at how the music would echo and reverberate off the water. Our worship song service would always end with out fight song in wonderful 4-part harmony - "We shall not be, we shall not be moved! We shall not be, we shall not be moved - just like a tree that's planted by the waters - we shall not be moved! He will not be, He will not be moved! He will not be, He will not be moved - He is our Rock - the Lord of all creation! He will not be moved!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you Karen - YOU ARE THE DAUGHTER OF THE KING OF THE UNIVERSE! He is your rock, your comfort, your strength, your light, your joy and your rest! Love you my friend

    ReplyDelete