Friday, February 3, 2012

Good bye Ro!!

This is the last day that I will take the experimental drug Ro with my other chemo. At least that's what all these happy ladies are saying here at the last wing in the last hallway of Doan Hall.

Ro, dear fiendish friend, I will not be sad to see you go..... although your benefits may be a blessing the rest of my life. I'm glad to be done with you. For now.




I had a pretty bad crash yesterday - and they still somewhat sneak up on me - I was up yesterday Thursday morning - after chemo Wednesday, feeling good, walked into the back wing of our medical trial wing - smiling my *ITS SHORT DAY THURSDAY* smile, settle in to do the prerequisite blood draws and Ro pill; and then after we were sprung early, we decided to do what I had been putting off - stop to do a wig try on at the specialty boutique.... (THAT is something for a whole other blog event - trust me there are things about wigs that "full-disclosure-Richard-Simmons" never told....)

We then snuck into Old Navy - yes a STORE with lots and lots of other germy people in it and recycled germy air floating all about - but we had needs. So i walked in, complete with mask on, and when I explained to the kindly hip young sales rep exactly what I was needing - he.took.me.there. Oh glorious sales rack that I have not seen for 6 weeks - and it was such a good sale. Only Scott said it was a "she" - we decided gender neutral was some of the best sales care we could have imagined.

At least until *hairy-young-hippy guy moves into the next changing room and shazam! - my sales help had suddenly found someone more needy of "attentions" complete with sideways looks of admiration and arm taps. Sigh.

I stayed in the fitting room - nervously slathering on hand sanitizer by the palm fulls - passing out clothes until our best sales rep was suddenly overwhelmed by braun and beauty and changed allegiances immediately. (who am I to cough at cheap flirting and maybe love blooming???) I then passed them out to Scott and he was actually a dang good *finder* himself - if not as enthusiastic...

So anyway, I buy my button front henleys preparing for my upcoming port, and leave and by the time we get home to Kristi's, I am in crash mode.

Damn sneaky steroids......(I'm sorry - that's the nicest thing I can call them right now) They make me feel good then vacate my body with a smack down leaving a vacuum worthy of the outer vortex.

A big black frozen hole with no gravity.

I was shaky, emotional, shaky, cold, sick, shaky and Scott just once again put me into bed under like 36 blankets and plied me with water and juices.....And food.

Today I am kind of weak washed out tired, but the sun at least came up.

They plopped me in a bed with those wonderful oven*warmed*blankets and I am just taking it slowly and easily. And tanking up on lots of water.

They barely woke me up for the last 3 blood draws - imagine big open grin.

1 comment: