Tuesday, February 21, 2012

A home away from home

When I first found out that I had cancer, then found out my treatment plan, I was a little bit stymied.  We had to be in Columbus for long days put together in long weeks the first five weeks, but not overnight stays.  Like arrive at OSU at 7:30am with parking and traffic behind that time, and then leave some days at 7pm.   The next day would be a "short" day - meaning 3 - 7 hours, then a long day again, etc. 

We have two daughters that live in Columbus - one fairly close to OSU - making that one of the reasons I chose the James Cancer Center mostly - proximity to family if needed.  But I was not expecting to have to be there for four days in a row, being kicked out at night, for more than a month.

What was worse, my blood work started sagging, and I had to be careful of my diet -- meaning no carry-out, no fast food, no restaurants, no quick deli items.  Period.

We could have gone to a hotel, but there would not be a lot of food options there for me.  And I have watched the news for heaven's sake - some hotels don't even wash the bed linens from the previous guest.  How was I supposed to be germ-free in that kind of environment?   What if the previous guest had the Spanish flu?  What if they had sneezed dozens of pneumonia germs all over the room just a mere 12 ours before??

If we had not help, we might have done some good old fashioned Biblical "perishing".

*******

One of the rabbi's I have been following teaches passionately what God is talking about in the Torah, then he says this:  "Now, go display God".   He says it with a big punctuation mark.  Like it is the most important thing in the world. 

One of God's ideas he teaches about that keeps swirling in my brain, is that we are to be "shade" to each other.  And that we "keep" or "guard" each other the other six and a half days of the week apart from our church pew sitting time.

Not only are we supposed to shake hands and hug on Sunday mornings, but we should shade each other and guard and keep others..... within this thing he calls "church".  Or put more Biblically - the Kingdom of God here one earth.  

hmmmmmm....... 

I'm sorry folks, but doing some of these studies all this past year, I am a little bit cynical on some points.  I agree with what they are saying, but haven't seen that played out so well at times.  I hate the evil that when uncovered is mostly swept under a very big rug and not covered well, but allowed to just sit there - visible but not visible.  

We don't offer so much shade to those in need, but rather stand over those who should be 'educated' (or stoned) with palm branches waving; while the hurting that needed "kept and guarded" crawl off in a corner to heal a bit. 

I've not liked what I see played out in churches sometimes. 

So God seems to think I need a little tutoring in this.

I just kind of got a front row seat in God's classroom of all things "what I expect from My kingdom on earth and how others truly fulfill that -- and how maybe you might fulfill it yourself, karen".  cough.  ouch.

*******

We had our family in on New Years weekend and celebrated Christmas.  Kristi and Cal offered to give up their lower level family room and let us take it over as much as needed.  This was before I knew my schedule.  They left Sunday afternoon, and by the time Tuesday night rolled around and we pulled in for my first full day of all-things-cancer-visits on Wednesday, Cal had mostly thoroughly cleaned and re-arranged that room for us.

He set up shelves for us to use.  They put a dresser in the room for us to store stuff in.  

They have a cat that I seem to be mildly allergic to - not a cat hair in sight.  They bought a special bed for us, with a special "heavenly-chushion-top" addition that is music to my poor weary bones when I lay down on it.  Those things are not cheap - but they got it for us.  

And that was all before I even realized how heavy the next 5 weeks schedule was going to be.  They didn't blink an eye - they told us to stay there, they wanted us there, and they would do anything we needed.

Like Lysol their house three times over before I walk in the door.  Like both of them work crazy difficult jobs with a lot of heavy things at their work, then come home, super-clean a bathroom for me and the rest of the house and make sure I am comfortable.

And Kristi cooked some pretty awesome meals each evening when I was not even all that hungry.  But walking in, smelling the food I didn't think I wanted, it was good.  Very good. 

We wake them up at night stumbling to the bathroom.  We wake them up some mornings because we have to leave so early.

We are nothing short of tiresome trouble and yet they never, never made us feel unwelcome when walking through their front door.  It was the opposite - they worked 40 plus hour weeks, then ran home and made sure all was well for their "house guests".

For five weeks.

THAT is "displaying God" in a way I have never seen before.  THAT is giving shade to the weary and heart-worn, and sick.  THAT is keeping others and guarding others in a way that makes evil stand outside the door.  

Or say it another way - this young couple with a baby just a year old, who are extra busy and don't usually have time to do a lot of things extra these days because they are good parents to that wee one - this young couple did all of that for their loved ones.  And blessed them in a way that only God will be able to tell them when they get to heaven.

I have been pretty sick there.  I have been pretty fatigued there.  In fact, one evening I just laid down and fell asleep, then came upstairs later - and there was my husband sitting *between* them on their sectional sofa, watching sports, talking and loving on his grand daughter and having a good time.  Some rest and some relaxation before he had to go back the next day and watch one that he loves suffer.   He needed care too, and they provided it.

We had such good rest in the shade they provided.  We were not your ordinary house guests - it also involved helping to care for someone who is sick on top of the usual "get ready for guests then tolerate them for days" - but we never felt "tolerated" and they let it all flow out beautifully.

It was so sweet no matter how bad the day, to walk in and see little Baby Evelyn wave at us and sometimes clap her hands when she saw us, her sweet smile would brighten it all.  I didn't want to bring this dark cloud over their tranquil abode - but the sweetness over powered it.  

If I had to choose between a Martha Stewart guest house, or their comfortable, cozy nest - theirs would win hands down. 

They guarded us and kept us.   That's what they do at their jobs 40 hours a week, but then they came home and did it all over again.

I feel we were so blessed with their lavish love poured out on us.  


And I am so getting tutored......

1 comment: